It was founded within the premises of what had once been cavalry barracks and a provincial training school. The university's founder and first rector was Prof. MUDr. et MVDr. h.c. Eduard Babák. Classes began on November 17, 1919. From its inception, the university developed as a single-faculty university aimed at veterinary medicine (veterinary sciences). In 1975 two colleges were created: the College of General Veterinary Medicine (later renamed College of Veterinary Medicine) and the College of Veterinary Medicine - Food Hygiene (later renamed Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology). In 1990, two faculties were created - the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, focused on veterinary medicine, and the Faculty of Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology, aimed at veterinary hygiene. In 1991, a third faculty was added - the Faculty of Pharmacy, geared towards human and veterinary pharmaceutical sciences. Since 1994, the university has been officially called the University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno.